A fall table at Red Gate Farm

A fall Saturday sounds like a wonderful time to reconnect with friends and family and enjoy a cozy dinner, harvest style.

So I thought I'd have a little fun and pull out all the stops to set my dining table for a real sit down style meal.

Candles are a must.  I like candles that don't have a strong smell for the dining room... you don't want to them to compete with the meal that you created...

I pulled out all the odds and ends from the china cabinet that said "fall" to me.  Everything that was brown, cream, tan, amber, gold, shades of white... well it all came out to play.  Most of these items were thrift store or garage sale finds.  A few are even items passed down from relatives.

Some were even grown here at Red Gate Farm.  Like the walnuts and the miniature pumpkins.... and really, that's what a harvest meal should be all about.

I have two sets of these serving pieces, from a garage sale, for a total of $3.00.

The second most expensive item on the table?  Well it would be this galvanized carrier I placed in the center of the table, full of pumpkins and burlap ribbon... perhaps it was meant for tools.  I picked it up a couple of years ago at an antique store for $6.00.

I don't own any dishes that look "fallish" so I used four platters that I've collected.  All for just a dollar or two a piece.  I added a brown fancy plate, paper actually, a cream china bowl and a cute little egg cup holding a walnut.

The glassware I have collected over the years.  One common name is "boopie glasses".  I added a little galvanized metal place card to the right.

I actually have set of six boopie glasses from my mom that are red.  As a kid I loved those red glasses.... now I have clear, red, green and amber. They also came in a desert dish style.... here I just used the small and larger goblet glasses.

The little china bowls and the nut cups came from the Lydia Place garage sale that I attend every August.  I literally paid pennies for four bowls and four eggcups.

The four platters are miss matched pieces... one cream, one white, one tan.... some stoneware, some china.... some plain, some with detail.

The sun is streaming in the south facing windows... perhaps beckoning a dinner guest...

As you can see, I'm kind of captivated by the little egg cups!

I used my grandmother's white damask tablecloth, layered with drop cloth fabric, a burlap runner I won in a giveaway and a bit of lace.  I like to layer the linens on the table instead of just using a tablecloth.... I also used the matching white damask napkins as place mats and of course, as napkins!

The old silverware is my grandmother's.... I think the pattern is named Jubilee... a fun name.

You may not believe it, but the most expensive item on the table?  Well it's the four Pottery Barn curtain clips I used for napkin rings.  They are left over from the living and dining room curtains.  These little babies were $3.00 a piece... for the four that means a whooping $12.00 total.  Since they have little clips for the curtains to hang from I also used them as place or name cards with a bit of torn brown paper.

The table is all set... a lot of layer... with bit of fancy and a bit of farmgirl..... Of course, now I just need to make the meal!


It was fun to pull out a bunch of miss matched things and create a fun, fall table scape.  Of course when my husband saw it he asked if I was having a party!

But no, I'm just enjoying a beautiful, Pacific Northwest fall weekend,


linking to


AND

Photobucket

AND


AND

Comments

  1. Love it all, Chris! You really went all out. Ok, on that note... I'm off to clean for awhile. Then maybe I can set a nice Fall table. Thanks for the inspiration!-Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very nice harvest table. I am such a minimalist, all I think of is it's too much stuff for me. I like the word "minimalist" because it sounds nicer than boring or lazy:-) It's been too warm here to feel like Autumn, until today. Pretty fluffy clouds and cooler temperatures. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris -- loving your table!! I am a boopie collector and have a very extensive collection of clear and a few pieces of amber. I would LOVE some red ones -- how blessed you are to have your Mom's :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ! Just love it all . ? What is a boopie . My mum had the same red glasses that you mentioned in this post brought back memories this did thanks. Have a wonderful eve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous table setting! Love that it was done on the cheap too! Best way to decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful creativity! You really know how to put out an elegant tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a pretty table! I love the gentle creamy tones you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to sit at this table! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris
    Your bits of mis-match sure made up a lovely table! I think your description of a little bit fancy and a little bit farmgirl hit the nail on the head. Whatever it is, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am completely bowled over. This is so gorgeous and I love how it came together. The silver is so beautiful and I love the stories about each little piece. It is so, so beautiful and the way the light is playing on it. Just lovely. Can I gush any more? Probably, but it's completely sincere! This blows my little fair table out of the water! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris this is just gorgeous...I really mean that! Why or why do people buy new at Target or some store like that when there is so much of this vintage out there for practically nothing...we pay for used stuff what the sales tax would be for new! I had to laugh at Denise's comment...I call mysself a minimalist but I think I am just lazy....lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your idea for the carpenters tool carrier was brilliant. It's perfect for that. The whole picture is amazing. Love what you did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the napkin rings! Curtain hooks! So cute and clever...just so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so lovely and a thoughtfully styled table!

    come visit anytime.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful table and fun stories behind each and every item!! So fun to share the memories!
    I have some of those glasses too, but love the name you have for them. Did you find anything at the craft show? I only got 2 things...not much. Heading to Funky Junk in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful tablescape Chris! Perfect for Thanksgiving. I love the amber coloured serving pieces and the galvanized carrier and of course all of your thrifted finds. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Chris, Your table looks beautiful! Love all the details. Happy fall to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes you just have to dig out your toys and play with them! Lovely table, Chris. I'd never heard of boopie glasses before, but now I'll be watching for them. That galvanized tool caddy is awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful table! My favorite is the cake dish with the cover that looks like a cake, so cute. The curtain rings idea is so smart! Isn't it funny how you can remember every good deal to the exact amount no matter how long ago it was. I am the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! I love how you were able to take the platters, linens and neutrals and make a Fall tablescape. I love textures and neutrals and yours is so interesting. I'm going to have to study it for ideas ;) Thanks for the kind comment on my grey painted rattan and iron little tables. I like their fresh new look.

    ReplyDelete
  21. BTW, your Halloween header is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks beautiful Chris, I love the tool carrier and your glasses and dishes are gorgeous. I have a bunch of mismatched plates and glasses from my grandma and I love them. Only they only come out at Thanksgiving. :) I hope you had a wonderful sit down meal. :)
    xooxxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your table is beautiful with lots of texture and interesting items used. The tool box looks great as a centerpiece. Love the entire look!--------- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your table looks wonderful- love that galvanized tray! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris

Popular Posts