holiday project #1 - fluffy & fun, anthro inspired, winter wreath


It was a good weekend to finally cross a little craft project off my list.  A project I started way back in August when I was on vacation.  I had come across THE wreath on Pinterest... you know the Anthropologie "pom pom yarn wreath knock off" that everyone seems to be making... or maybe made since I seem to have caught on a year too late.

I stuck with the idea I found on Pinterest.  It suggested using a roving type yarn.

And now I see why.  The super, fuzzy, fluffy, off white roving yarn really worked well.

I found mine at Michael's... we don't have the luxury of a Hobby Lobby in these parts so I'm stuck with Michael's or Joann Fabrics when it comes to most crafty projects.  My wreath took two skeins/balls of this yarn.  At $6.99 it isn't the cheapest yarn, but fortunately for me wool yarn was on sale way back in the middle of August and I got mine for just $4.99 each.

 The directions I followed didn't call for anything other than my hand to wind the yarn around.  Super simple that way, just me and some scissors.  Each pom pom is made up of 40 wraps of my hand.

Slip it off and tie it in the center with a 6 or 7 inch piece of yarn.

And start cutting all those loops.

And voila.. a little bit misshapen pom pom!  The directions suggested a little tidy up trim, and I did.  Now just to wind up, tie off, cut and trim oh about 30 or 31 more of these bad boys.

 Michael's was also the place I found my wreath form.  I used the 12 inch straw wreath and T-pins, but you could use hot glue, Styrofoam wreath, etc.  The straw wreath was cheaper (at $3.99) and I had a coupon (40% off) to boot!  I did have to buy a package of T-pins since I didn't have any hanging around... they were $1.99.

 Now it's time to start adding on my pom poms.

I started with a circle around the top/front and then went back and filled in the center... then the outside.  I even left a small space to slip a ribbon through.

And here it is.  Hanging on my garden gate.  I'm loving how it looks but it may come down for the actual Christmas holidays and move to another spot... but the beauty of this wreath is the snowball pom pom look can carry on through January and February so I'm sure it will move back to this spot around New Year's Day.

And another, farther out view.

 I'm happy I looked for the roving yarn and didn't settle for a wool blend.  I like the way the cut ends of the pom pom are very blunt with the roving wool.

 Oh, and the ribbon?  A nice aqua-ish color... and free since it came wrapped around something.  A blanket I think... and it even had Velcro sewn on so I could easily loop it over my garden gate and hang it up!

Believe it or not, this project only took about 1 to 1/2 hours to complete.  Winding the pom poms went pretty fast and pinning them to the wreath form took literally minutes.  And at under $15.00 was a bargain as well.  Apparently the Anthro version is just a tad bit pricier.

 Why yes, it is as soft and fluffy as it looks!

And this project has really inspired me to get some other projects done...

Perhaps even another pom pom wreath with the addition of a few gray pom poms is in my future?
For a little gift to a new homeowner that I know.



Comments

  1. Love how your wreath turned out! I have admired this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I haven't been on pinterest enough because I hadn't seen it yet. I will definitely be your copycat on this one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just added Roving yarn to my list for the store, wonder if Walmart carries Roving yarn? Love yours and wonder if it would do okay on an outside door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...now I want to make one too! You're so good at showing each and every step~I think about the photos after it's all done! Thanks for the tip on the yarn too! This could be cute with mini ornament wreaths...wrapping around a finger or two? Oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one is on my to-do list too! I love how soft and cozy it looks. Thanks for the step-by-step directions and the tip on the roving yarn. It just looks so pretty on your gate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this and thanks so much for sharing with us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wreath looks fantastic Chris! Making the pompoms would be a relaxing lunch time activity at work. Thanks for the instructions. I may just give this a try if I can find the same roving yarn. Wishing you a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your wreath, but I have to say I love your old gate even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute and creative! I really enjoyed this inspirational post. I would love it if you would share this post at our What’s It Wednesday linky party? Hope to see you there!

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wreath turned out really cute and I love how you displayed it on that charming old gate.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chris! I must be out of the loop, I haven't seen this project on Pinterest, but I LOVE it! It looks like something I might be able to tackle before Christmas. I've been learning how to crochet....maybe making pompoms will be a little easier. ha ha. Have a great day :)
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great wreath and I simply love it on the gate. Just pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris

Popular Posts