Tuesday, December 30, 2014

a holiday project: the finale that is

This was a gift I'd been planning for quite some time.  I wanted to make Miss Bee a handmade doll for Christmas.

I was a bit surprised to find it was difficult to track down a pattern... I found doll patterns but I had a doll in mind that would have felt hair and like clothing patterns seemed to be not a popular item any longer.

Finally I tracked this one down on etsy and I was in business.

I knew I wanted the "hair" to be a golden felt, like Miss Bee's blond fluff... and I had the white with red dots for the body.

One thing I really like about this pattern is that the "outfit" is just a little elastic waist skirt, not a dress to button or zip.  I seem to remember Miss Bee's mama's dolls didn't have many clothes on when she was young since it was difficult to dress dolls.  I thought this little skirt idea would be easier for a wee one to actually dress... and if not, well the polka dot body is cute too!

The pattern was a pdf I could download so not piece was larger than an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper... this meant that a fat quarter was enough for a little skirt!  I will admit I got a tad bit carried away with the extra "outfits".

It was pretty quick to put together but if I made it again I would probably change a few things and do them a bit different from the directions.


By Christmas morning she was finished and under the tree... sporting her Scandinavian outfit and with her little red suitcase full of 5 other skirts... one even of flannel, sort of like her pj's that is.  You may notice that I didn't make the headband... perhaps Miss Bee will share one of her own?

When Miss Bee got here with her Mama and Daddy it was time for a few gifts... close your eyes since I have a surprise for you!

Oops... I guess at just under 7 months we don't have that concept quite down yet...

But her grandpa helped her out and she seemed to like her first little rag doll.  Do you see a resemblance?  Between Miss Bee and the doll that is?  I used the same shade of blue for the eyes!

This was definitely my favorite holiday project this year... even with all the turning and stuffing!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season full of family, friends and memories to last a lifetime.


linking up to



4 comments:

  1. I love how her first doll turned out great work Grandma... Happy New Year Chris~

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful gift from the heart! Miss Bee will love her for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! I can see it going everywhere with her for years to come...love it! -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet! Both doll and baby are adorable and this is something that she will be able to treasure forever!

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris