what's up?

I'm not sure where the time keeps going to these days... a few weeks ago I was going to share what was up around my garden.  Like our last couple of springs, this one seems to be a bit warmer than normal and everything is popping up fast and furious around here... in fact these first daffodils in front of the barn are not so pretty now.

My hyacinths have flopped but certainly looked, and smelled, divine just a couple of weeks ago.  Such a fun pop of color in the early days of spring.

I ordered some seeds from a new source this year.  A local flower-farmer-florist in a neighboring county started to sell seeds and dahlia tubers this year.  Her sweet peas are gorgeous and I wanted to give them a try myself.

It was hard to pick just a few... five was my limit.

I started them by soaking them in water for a couple of days...

Making sure to get the names on each cup so I could mark them when planted.  I decided to plant them in pots in my unheated greenhouse to give them a head start before getting them into the round.  They're sprouting nicely and I'll be getting them in the ground soon.

My first ever, well in a long time, crocus came up all over too.  This variety was pretty tiny, and of course, is now long gone.

And another look at the early daffodils in front of the barn... these were an early variety.

The daffodils around the magnolia were a later variety... also this area gets a bit more shade at this time of year and isn't in front of a building so I think that made them a bit later as well.

A couple of weeks ago...

And last weekend... the magnolia was magnificent this year... and I was super happy with my new daffodil bulbs too.  This magnolia is an existing plant when we moved here 11 plus years ago.  It does so much better without grass growing around it and the watering of the lawn keeps is happy too.

And all those daffodils?  Last year I decided to buy bulbs online instead of just a bag from Costco... I had done this with my tulips a couple of years ago and was very happy with their blooms.  Last summer I waited for a good deal on Breck's bulbs and got a couple of big batches of daffodils plus a bunch of freebies (the crocus bulbs were part of my free bulbs!).

Lots of green grass but most of the plants are just waking up...

You can see these two hydrangea and the shrub rose are slow to leaf... another area that gets shade from neighboring trees until late spring/summer when the sun climbs a bit higher.

My yellow tulips (also Breck's) from a few years ago have been coming back in a nice healthy cluster around my little sign.

Love seeing these tulips in front of the retaining wall each year.


This leafless tree is a locust... believe it or not, 11 years ago this was a "shrub" and was about the height of the retaining wall next to it.  It was here when we moved to Red Gate Farm and it took a number of years to figure out just what it was.  It certainly is a fast growing "tree" but definitely a late "leafer".

Last week was the first red tulip, they are a bit later than the yellow ones... although after this last weekend of sun..

That solo one has some friends!

The red is really popping against my husband's baby... the lawn.

The nectarine tree was beautiful and in flower for a number of days... hopefully this will mean lots of nectarines again this year, although we'll be sure to "thin" them so we don't loose half the tree like we did a couple of years ago due to a heavy crop!

It won't be long until the lilac is in bloom... Tiny little flowers, can't wait until they are in full bloom and smelling fabulous!

This was 10 days ago...

And this was last night!  Getting close!

Last year I potted a little yellow start of a lilac with plans to pot up more starts this year.  We'd like to create a hedge along our property to the south of the barn... with this pale purple and the yellow I have access to white and dark purple lilacs.  Wouldn't a hedge of lilacs be spectacular!

More of my bulb freebies... short little red tulips and more daffodils.

I should have read the packaging more carefully on my freebies... these little red tulips are only 8 inches or so... great in front of my trough but...

Barely peaking over the top for the ones inside!!  Loved the little tulips in and around my "sunflower trough".

A happy view when you come up the driveway... before you know it the peonies on each side will be blooming and then on to sunflowers!

And speaking of what's up... this little girl is barreling her way to 2!  At the end of May will be her second birthday,  I can hardly believe that it's been almost 2 years and she isn't a baby anymore but a toddler.

And Miss Bee is a very talkative and curious toddler, it takes me a day or two to recover after one of our visits as she keeps me on my toes!


Finally,  just enough hair for a little pony on top!  She definitely takes after her mama on the hair or should I say lack of it.

With sunny spring days my to do list has been long, but so worth it.  Nothing better than getting outside on a nice spring day.

How about you?  What's "up" in your neighborhood?


linking up to 


AND 



Comments

  1. Beautiful shots from around Red Gate Farm. Spring here looks like spring where you are. The magnolias have been gorgeous this year - always beautiful, but some years are spectacular. Enjoy your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your farm looks wonderful in the Spring! I am on the hunt for a Magnolia tree - I have the Star one but want the bigger one. Your place is so tidy and pretty! And Miss Bee is a darling child. What a love. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing a bit of spring at SYC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Love the daffodils in front of the wagon wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every picture made me smile.

    Thanks for sharing with SYC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, everything looks so beautiful! Spring is my favorite time of year, but boy does it ever whiz by. I planted a Magnolia bush this year and am loving it. Yours certainly is gorgeous! Happy (soon to be) Birthday to that cutie! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris

Popular Posts