Over the weekend I once again, dusted off the sewing machine and got to work on a project that was meant for last Christmas as well as a new one for this Christmas. And seeing that there was a Holiday Copycat Challenge over at Debbiedoos Blogging and Blabbing, well I just couldn’t resist making two of the most copied items from Pottery Barn's holiday catalog.
First up is the poinsettia pillow… Pottery Barn had this pillow last year in a slightly different version and I purchased felt to copy it… but alas I never got around to it… story of my life!
This year the challenge got me moving on it…. it was fairly straightforward. I made 3 sizes of “petal” patterns out of some scrap drop cloth and cut them out of white felt.
I planned out the design before sewing to be sure I had enough petals. I also used drop cloth for the “background” of the poinsettia and used another piece of quilt fabric from my stash for the backing. When I make pillow like this, I like to make them with the fabric overlapping in the back… kind of like a pillow sham is made. Then I just cover my existing pillow forms… so after the holidays I just have the cover to fold up and store.
After stitching each petal on, the final step was hand sewing on some vintage jingle bells….
It turned out exactly as planned. In fact in went so well I decided to make another Pottery Barn pillow….
Yep, the much copied “stocking pillow”. My version is much smaller since I had an existing rectangular pillow form that I wanted to use….
Pottery Barn’s version is similar in color….
I wanted to felt a sweater to make the stockings out of… I thought it would be easier than knitting little stockings… I also knew I’d have more of a chance of actually FINISHING the project! I picked this J Crew wool/angora sweater up at my local thrift store for $2.99.
And when I say felted it, I mean as in purposefully shrinking it in very hot water, in the washing machine. You can’t tell in the this pic but it’s baby sized now! By felting the sweater I could cut out my stocking shapes and the edges will not unravel even when left “raw” or unfinished.
I used the ribbed edges from the sleeves and necklines so that the tops of the 3 stockings would have ribbing. I used my sewing machine to stitch around each stocking but left the top of each one "open". I then hand stitched my “string” with aqua colored embroidery floss... since I use a lot of aqua in my living room.
And voila… my version of the PB pillow. Of course, when I brought it out to show my husband and son… well they wanted to know why I made a pillow with 3 “J’s” on it…. men!
Another tidbit of the main Christmas tree…
Here’s hoping you had a great weekend… the countdown to Christmas is on!
linking up to