Put on a happy face....

Yesterday I had the pleasure of the company of two "single digit" folks... a five year old and an eight year old.  They came for a little visit at Red Gate Farm.

I've forgotten what it's like to be around "young'uns"... they wore me out in just two hours...

We played a game of croquet, had a tea party dressed in vintage aprons, made pictures with plain white computer paper and colored pencils, played part of a wild game of checkers...

weighed all my eggs on my vintage egg scale... along with every dog ball we have.

And last but not least, the five year old informed me that he was "a picky eater".  I, of course, informed him that Mr. Red Gate Farm is a picky eater as well... this led to a game of "yes and no"... asking if he liked different foods... not much of a surprise but Mr. Red Gate Farm IS a pickier eater than a five year old!

We did have a great time... the evening ended with a couple of foot races around the barn... which came to an abrupt halt when our yellow lab decided she'd like to enter the race as well.

Yesterday evening reminded me how easy happiness can come to kids.

As adults, we sometimes forget how to do this.  I know I do.

Gray skies are gonna clear up,

Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.



Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,

It's not your style;
You'll look so good that you'll be glad
Ya' decide to smile!
Pick out a pleasant outlook,


Slap on a happy grin!

And spread sunshine all over the place,
Just put on a happy face!


So spread sunshine all over the place

Just put on a happy face
So, put on a happy face


Sunflowers, all here at Red Gate Farm, spreading the joy... They certainly make me smile and put on a happy face!   Hope they make you smile too.

And thanks to my two "single digit" friends for reminding me...


Put on a Happy Face - from Bye Bye Birdie -lyrics by Lee Adams

linking up to

Comments

  1. Chris
    I know what you mean by being worn out. I'm the same way after our grandkids come to visit. I think it's because, like you, I try to make it memorable and am either playing with them or arranging things for them to do!
    Yes, I think the sunflowers are about the happiest flower God's made. And not only pretty, but a provider of food for all the birds!
    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aren't they just the happiest of flowers! Thanks for making me smile today...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that just one of the best songs in the whole wild world? Kids were me out too... in about an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracious those Sunflowers are huge! Must be happy in your gardens! Thanks so much for sharing at this weeks garden party! Always love seeing your posts pop up on my side bar! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a positive blog on a rather gloomy week, news-wise.

    My wife can empathize with you whole-heartedly this week. She is teaching art camp at our house this week, and has an especially challenging group this time round - very active boys with attention spans like hummingbirds. I seem to be getting roped into helping out just so she can have a moment or two to unfrazzle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post. I'm putting on a happy face as I type my comment. Really enjoyed my visit this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chris,

    Wow, what a bright and happy yellow!! I love sunflowers in all of their grace. You can't help but smile at yours and maybe a wink too! Sounds like you had a great day!!
    All the Best,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can think of nothing cheerier than sunflowers -- yours are gorgeous!! Single digit folks do spread sunshine around :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so miss my 'single digit' granddaughters. Come December, one won't be a single digit any longer. I sure hope I can get up there by then. This was a great post!!!!! I bet you slept like a baby last night too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sunflowers. I am sure your single digit friends had just as much fun as you. They probably never get to do simple things like playing at your farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you all had a fun time and I bet you slept well last night ;) Your photos inspire me to plant some sunflowers in our garden next year. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids and sunflowers! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful post. Having fun is something we don't really do as adults...too many responsibilities. I'm trying harder each day to enjoy our kids...and yep, that means putting some "grown up" things aside some days. It's okay...I'm trying hard to be care, and not miss this time. And oh my, your flowers are so beautiful, they make me smile! -Mar

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little tired just reading what you did with them! It does sound like a fun day, though.
    Why is it harder to be cheerful as an adult? This was a good reminder to just be happy. Thanks, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't help but smile at those sunflowers. Sounds like you had a marvelous visit with those little ones. Little folks are good for making one smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun! Love your sunflowers. Mine were all eaten - by a stinkin' gopher. We had a gopher in our front yard through most of the summer. He's gone now - hopefully in gopher heaven. He ate a bunch of my flowers. It was so entertaining to watch the neighborhood cats (and my husband too) try to get that rascal. I'm so glad you have sunflowers for me to visit. Although it sounds like they wore you out, it sounds like you had a wonderful time and I bet they did too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You gave me my first laugh of the day. Thanks. What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They DO wear you out but are so much fun! LOVE this post Chris! My what beautiful sunflowers, that's enough to put a silly grin on my face. : )

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so enjoyed your post!! Sounds like you had a great time. Your sunflowers are so pretty. Bye Bye Birdie was my fav movie growing up!!! Love that song!!
    *hugs*deb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris

Popular Posts