Jet plane

I’m leaving on a jet plane, don’t know when I’ll be back again….
















Well, actually I do know when I’ll be back, February 26th to be exact, but I couldn’t resist.  It seems so appropriate.  When I was a little girl my favorite songs were Leaving on a Jet Plane the original by Peter, Paul and Mary (not the remake by John Denver, although I like that one too) and Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.  Of course as a 4 or 5 year old, I didn’t actually understand the meaning of the songs!

Sooooo, it's a done deal friends.  I just booked my tickets to visit Toronto, Ontario in February.  Now  you may ask, why Toronto in February?  Isn’t that a cold and snowy city in February.  Yes, I’m told it is but I’m heading there to visit my daughter and her boyfriend.  Plus, I have an extra day off work for President's Day... and February is our slowest time at work.  And I'll come prepared, with my North Face fleece, REI down coat, scarves, mittens and wool lined fake faux Ugg boots.  And yes, I'll be leaving the men behind at Red Gate Farm.

Hopefully the weather will be somewhat cooperative.  I will be there for over a week and my big wish is to see Niagara Falls, I'd say it was one of those places on my "bucket list", like Mt. Rushmore... I'll get there someday too... ever since Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint in North by Northwest I've always wanted to see it... but I digress. 

photo courtesy here
















And I think I'll skip the CN tower, just looking at the pictures my daughter took started to give me a panic attack, yes, I'm afraid of heights.... If I skip the CN tower maybe I'll have to time to hunt down track down Sarah Richardson and her sidekick Tommy, two of my favorite HGTV Canada stars.

photo from here













I can hardly wait… I’m excited but nervous, too.  I’ve only flown by myself once.  Back when I was 16.  Way back in another lifetime.  And the world is a much bigger place with more intrusive stricter security now.  And although I'm pretty comfortable visiting British Columbia, Canada - just a few miles to my north... I've heard that eastern Canada is more like a foreign country, which of course, it is.

So any of my Toronto friends, feel free to send my advice on your favorite, not to be missed spots in the GTA... Greater Toronto Area to those not in the know.  I'll be in the Mississauga neighborhood February 17 to February 26, courtesy of Air Canada.

Here's to my first solo trip in 30 years,
Chris at Red Gate Farm

Comments

  1. WOO HOO!! You can do it girl! Sounds like a fun and exciting trip..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! I bet you can't wait. I'm just outside the GTA, in the Golden Horseshoe but the highways bring us all together so might I suggest a get together with GTA bloggers? : )

    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. how brave of you! which option are you going to receive, the pat down or the walk thru scanner? stay safe and have fun! jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yah... I'm up for a Toronto blogger get together Andrea!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. It wasn't that bad when we traveled home and back for Christmas. No pat downs or scans, just the normal security. Just make sure you have all your liquids in a 1 qt ziplock baggie (at Canadian airports, they give them to you for free) and none of the containers are over 1 oz (anything else has to be in checked baggage).

    And to be a little more specific, you'll be in Cooksville (which is an area of Mississauga, since it's pretty huge). I do have a large assignment due on the 18th, but everything else is pretty open.

    Can't wait for you to come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you're off! YEAH!

    Make sure when you go to see Niagara Falls (I grew up near there and visited ALOT), to wear waterproof clothing. The mist from the Falls is everywhere and it's darn cold. But it makes for some awesome photos! Brrrrrrr

    Have a great time, eat out often (there are enough places there to never repeat yourself), shop, go to the Zoo, and bond with your daughter!

    Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome! I am sure it will be freezing but people live in that stuff every day so you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is no doubt you will have a fabulous time on this trip. Wish I was going with you. I visited Canada once and loved it. Take care, stay warm and look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yipee! I'm so excited for you and I'm IN for a GTA Blogger Get Together! The only date not good for me is the 20th! CALLING ALL GTA BLOGGERS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Toronto and I was there in March. It’s beautiful and full of big city life. we took in a big show downtown--saw Mama Mia and one of my favorite things was a visit to Casaloma Castle-that was really cool. I know you are going to have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how exciting! My first solo travel was for a company I worked for. It just makes you feel so, well...intrepid, this getting about on your own; like you can conquer the world. Have a great time; ask for a window seat, take lots of pictures of Niagra Falls for us to ooh and aww over, and enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be there in March, to see a show - too bad we won't cross paths! I go every winter to visit my sister and see whatever show she's in/written or is working on.
    I love the junk shops on Queen Street, the funky neighbourhoods like Little Italy, Koreatown and the Greek neighbourhoods. The Distillery District down by the water is a great place on a sunny afternoon (and you might get one of those, even if it's cold). If your daughter's got some free time a quick trip to Niagara on the Lake is a treat - it's a bit like Williamsburg except it's not a museum - it's a living town.
    Have fun! If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thing you plan to pack your woolies, it's been freezing cold here the past few days. Of course I'm a little north of TO, about 45 mins. Niagara Falls is a great time, but if you're going, you must visit Niagara on the Lake. It's a little off the beaten path but well worth the trip. Beautiful shops and places to eat, etc. Have a great time planning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Freyja, you forgot to add visiting Freyja too! lol

    That sounds like a wonderful trip - and we know you are going to have a blast..and who knew that Canada hands out ziploc plastic baggies at the airport? Boy you guys get the healthcare and the good kind of baggies too... Here in the states we get offensive patdowns and dirty glares...and thats just the healthcare system :D

    I think I need to plan a Missoula trip soon too to visit my girls - theres nothing like spending that mom and daughter(s) time together!

    take lots of photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please, feel free to leave a comment... it really makes my day! Chris

Popular Posts